Our friends at The Wall Street Journal have reported that Sprint has locked down an agreement with Apple to purchase over $20 billion worth of iPhones over the next 4 years. That’s BILLION with a B.— or around thirty million iPhones. It’s rumored that Sprint won’t even break even on the transaction for 3-4 years, which is obviously a huge risk for Sprint. So you have to ask, why?
It’s been rumored that Sprint will be getting the all hailed and elusive iPhone 5 — yes the ACTUAL iPhone 5, not the fake iPhone (4s) — and exclusive. And it’s said it will be a WiMAX handset in 4g style. Verizon and the glorious AT&T would offer the iPhone 4S and have access to the iPhone 5 later that period. Around the world, the iPhone 5 is rumored to be available as a 4G HSPA+ phone as well.
In this instance, the updated iPhone 4S phone will showcase these features:
- A low power Apple A5 CPU for longer battery use
- Updated camera sensors. FaceTime HD on one side, 8-megapixel 1080p HD video on the back.
- Multiband 3G Qualcomm chipset — North American & International GSM/UMTS/HSPA bands for AT&T and Global carriers, North American CDMA & International GSM/UMTS/HSPA bands for Verizon and Sprint.
- Metal and luxury plastic case options.
And take in what the iPhone 5 will also offer, as a solo Sprint exclusive:
- quick CPU.
- Four-inch screen, similar to the Galaxy display but with a better resolution.
- You want more processing and like gaming? how about 1GB of RAM.
- Thin yet bigger battery
- Need some storage? 32GB of storage for you my man.
- iPhone 5 exclusives including the coveted Assistant
But to make it all happen, $20 billion in iPhone sales in a poor economy..let’s see if this happens.